Saturday, May 16, 2009


This was a ride I'd been meaning to do for quite some time.  Originally, I was going to do it pre-hurricane Ike, but it just didn't happen.  Now after the hurricane Ike tear through, I think there is even less of what was there before.  It certainly made for a very challenging pass.


I started by getting to Winnie and cutting down 124 to get to where the old 87 goes east from High Island.

Here is the intersection.




If'n you were to turn right, you'd head toward the ferry and Galveston.



...but I'll cover that in about a month when I do my ride from Galveston to Grand Isle via Gulf coast roads.


Today, we go east .... where the road disappears.



I'm sure this was a nice sized tree at some point.



This is pretty much what there is to look forward to the rest of the way.



Mostly loose sand, but there are some packed spots.


Found this utility pole just lying on the beach.  No sign of where or what it may have originally belonged to.





A little further down I can only guess this is a marker for someone or something.

You can begin to see what looks like loose packed gravel.  Actually its just a bunch of little sea shells, but just as bad as loose gravel.



More of the same.



At this point, I'm looking back from where I've come and can barely make out the trucks on the beach.  There were some folks out just enjoying the surf.  Here I'm stopped on a patch of sea weed because the sand is too soft to support the kick stand.



Just a little further down, I found something in the surf that looks to have been a Somalia pirate ship.



After going through the sand for the past couple of hours, I moved a little more inland to follow some better packed ground.  Pretty much just having to follow this green belt that ran parallel to the surf.


I came up to what looked like a fence line, though there was no line left, and took a quick lunch/water break.



Looking down as I was cooling off, I noticed that even out here mother nature can find a way.



Again, glancing back to see where I'd come from.  About 30 minutes back is where I'd jumped onto this gravel soil.

I was able to make up some speed and distance on this stuff.



Continuing on, I saw something off in the distance offshore that I recognized.

Its just a spec, but you can make out the drilling platform.



Oh, and that seaweed you see on the beach.  Yeah, it was like that the entire way.


After about another 30 minutes, I'm closer to where the platform is and can get a better shot.



It wasn't too much further pass this shot where I started to get into some really bumpy section on this green belt, so I bailed off and got back onto the beach and dealt with the sand.  At least it was a smoother ride.


I intersected a couple of guys in 4x4 pickups a while back that were headed back toward High Island.  One of the guys told me he'd just gotten stuck in some really soft sand and his buddy had to pull him out.


I'd asked if they knew if it was even still possible to get all the way through to Sabine and they did not know.


He told me there was another couple in a 4x4 Chevy that was headed west and hadn't come back this way yet.


I knew about them because I'd seen them picking up loose propane tanks off the beach.  I figured if they were still headed that way, then surely it was passable.


Then after about another 30 minutes, I saw a truck on the horizon.  I took a break and waited to see if I could tell what direction they were going.  Sure enough, they were coming back.  "Crap" I though.  Does that mean you can't get through?


I was going to ask, but the old fart driving the truck didn't stop ... just waved and kept on going.  hurumph.


I knew if I turned back now, I could get back to my start point by 5pm.

The other problem was that I knew from the weather forecast that a front was headed in from the north and we were to get some thunder storms at about 5pm.  I did not want to get stuck out here in bad weather.


I could see what looked like some old tank batteries (oil field production storage units) on the horizon and figured worst case I could hold up there.

I'd already come this far so I pressed on.


I was coming to a section on the beach where the tract seemed to disappear then saw it turn to the left and got onto this.



This was fricken awsome!  It was like riding a forest service road.

Needless to say, throttle WFO.


But then after about two miles, it dumped me back onto the beach.


This time though, after about another 15 minutes, I saw this on my left.



That's the remains of the old highway!




Looking off in the distance, I can make out some specs that look like trucks on the beach.


Sure enough, a little further, and I found a way from the beach, back onto the old road.




Here's a view to the west where the road starts to come back.



And here I am celebrating and expressing my opinion to the sign.




Just on the other side is the remains of someone's camp.



Structure looks good, they just need to redo the entire interior.


A couple shot from within Sabine.


Looks like they're rebuilding one of the schools.  I like the lighthouse look on the front.



Across the street was an abandoned house.



Though I'd swing by the Sabine Pass Battle Ground park, but looks like they've shut it down.

Pretty much all that's left is the pond out front.



I took the opportunity to air my tires back up and drink my last bottle of water.  It was now time to head back home.


The approaching front makes for some interesting clouds.

This view is to the south.



This is the north.  You can see it getting darker.



Now that's a big boat.



The rest of the ride was super-slab from Winnie back to Houston.


I'm about to take my exit from the beltway off to 249 and can feel that all too familiar burst of cool air that proceeds a down pour of rain.


This is what awaits.



But I make it into my garage just before 5pm and the rain hits about 15 minutes later.

Woo Hoo!


The day was a great adventure.






Hit Counter

The site was last updated on:  07.25.09